Could my 11 yr. old son make a pouch at Leather School?
We have found that 12 yrs. old and above don’t have a problem, younger than that may need parental help. This is only a guide. The best thing would be for you to bring him and stay around to support him if necessary. If he’s taking it in his stride you could disappear and come back at 4pm.
Is there food nearby for lunch?
Yes, there are lots of options, from the fabulous Almond Thief bakery opposite to food outlets which are part of The Shops at Dartington complex, including Venus Cafe and Bayard’s Kitchen, as well as the 14th Century Cott Inn just up the road
Are there any good local B&Bs?
Please refer to our local accommodation document
If I start on a simple project and want to learn more about leatherwork do you have more in depth courses?
Yes we have a range of courses and all are suitable for the beginner.
- Occasional Kit Classes: The leather is already cut to shape and all the holes are made ready for you to assemble using the techniques (Leather School Basics) learned in the first half of the class.
- In-a-Day Courses: One day courses for covering satchel, wallet, belt and sheath making
- Essential Skills Weekend: Tuition covers all the basics of traditional leatherwork. You will be shown pattern making technique to enable you to manifest in leather an idea that starts in your imagination.
Do you sell tools and leather?
Yes, we have a good range available in our shop.
I don’t think I could make one of the kits in 2 hours! It looks too hard!
The Kit Class is designed as an entry level course, allowing complete beginners to learn some skills as well as take home a lovely leather item. Skills include preliminary tuition joining leather in 3 different ways: hand stitching, riveting and using snap fasteners.. Anyone can do it with our expert tuition!
What is your cancellation policy?
Please refer to our terms and conditions
What do I need to bring?
- Please bring glasses if you normally need them for detailed work or reading.
- Please wear clothing that is not too loose or baggy.
- There are local cafes for drinks and snacks or lunch.
What is the parking like?
Unit A4 Webbers Yard is situated on a small rural industrial estate with plenty of available free parking over the weekend outside the workshop and in the immediate vicinity.
How do I know where my course is being held?
Currently all courses are held at Unit A4 Webbers Yard Dartington TQ9 6JY
How can I give feedback on my experience at Leather School?
Do you do bespoke or free-design courses?
The Essential Skills course allows you to create a project from scratch. We are open to discussing any kind of course/workshop/learning project. We do need a minimum of 4 students to run anything longer than 2 hours. Please contact us to dicsuss further.
Unsanswered questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us